Saturday, March 13, 2010

Living in TN - Week 1

It's been a week since we've lived in Tennessee and the transition is going smoothly. I'm working on unpacking the boxes, which has proven sort of difficult. In our house in Minneapolis we had a basement where we threw a bunch of stuff and it was out of the way. Now we have a small storage space and that's it. So I have to be a bit more organized. Once I get most of the boxes unpacked and the pictures on the walls, I'll post a tour blog.

So far I haven't experience any culture shock. I've been cooped up in the house most of the time applying for jobs, so I haven't had a lot of interaction with many Tennesseans. Despite this minimal interaction I have notice some marked differences between here and Minnesota.

  • In Smyrna, everyone drives the speed limit or slower. Are you on a long, straight country road? Better go 30 mph! They are very law abiding here and it throws me off when I drive. Andy's coworkers told him to watch out for the police in Smyrna though, they're tough on the speed limit. That explains it.
  • They're very generous with their road labeling here, some roads that are labeled are a stretch for even being considered a "road". Andy and I were on an exploratory drive last Sunday and we took a wrong turn. According to the map, to get back on track Andy told me to turn right on Jordan Road, which looked like someone's gravel driveway and was actually a one lane road through a farm. But we managed to get where we needed to be.
  • While the Tennesseans will label a dirt track as a road, when it comes to actual roads and highways they get a little label happy. For example, depending on who you talk to, where you are, and what sign you're looking at the main road near our house is called Murfreesboro Road, Lowry St, 70S, 1 or 41. When leaving Franklin, TN last night we took a road called alternately Columbia Ave, Columbia Pike, 31 or 6. We crossed over a connection to Mack Hatcher, Memorial Parkway, TRK 96, 397, TRK 431 or TRK 31. When I tried to get to a recycling center I got mixed up because I went on Almaville Road from Nissan Dr (or 102) not realizing that if I just continued West on Nissan Dr/102 that it turned into another Almaville Road and I would have been just fine.
  • Everyone is really friendly here. Well, most everyone. One person Andy met wasn't nice. But so far everyone else has been great. The woman who is the caretaker of the townhouses we live in said thank you to me after she let me in my house when I locked myself out.
After one week I'm happy with our move down south. We've eaten outside a few times because it's so nice. The other night we sat on our stoop and read. There's a lot of places to explore and just about every day we've gone out for a walk at a new place. It's really quite exciting. Today Andy and I are heading up north to Nashville and check out what Music City has to offer. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: